Thursday, February 27, 2014

12 x 12 Mixed Media Canvas

Hello everyone.  I am leaving on vacation in a couple of days to the "sunny" and "WARM" parts of Mexico, so I thought I would share a quick view of a canvas that I did using some mixed media products that I love to use.  Below is a canvas that I did.  I did not put a picture on it as I wanted you to see the textures.

I am currently working on another 12 x 12 canvas.  I want to share with you the application of some of the textures that I used for the background.
First off you will need products that will give you lots of texture.  I used tissue paper, mesh, muslin, doilies moulding paste, matte mod podge, gesso and off course colours of mists and sprays.  Gather up flowers, metal items, buttons, chipboard items - anything from your stash.   They do not have to be white, in fact, they can be any colour you like.  These will be your embellishments.

To start I placed some mod podge in a section then added one of my texture products on top.  Then I added more mod podge onto the surface of the item.  Below is a section of the canvas that I have started to show you how the texture starts to take shape.  I plan on adding lace to different parts of the canvas.

You can see the mesh, tissue, doilie, muslin and modeling paste.  You can overlap items and keep adding items until you have the desired build up.


When you have finished, let it dry completely.  You will then paint the whole surface with white gesso.  Let dry completely.  This will allow the mists and sprays to adhere properly.
Now for the fun part.  Place your embellishment items onto the canvas where you would like.  When you are happy adhere them down using a hot glue gun.  When finished with a paint brush paint all the items with white gesso.  Now you can do your spraying starting with the lightest colour first.  Just spray here and there at the start.  Let each colour dry completely before spraying the next one.  Below is a close-up of the bottom left corner and the upper right corner of the canvas.  
You can accent your flower colours using a kraft paint that matches.


I hope you enjoy.  Until next time, 
HAPPY SCRAPPING!!!!!!

No comments: