Friday, March 14, 2014

"Using Up My Scraps" Layout

Hi, Donna here - I am back from my vacation and I thought I would share with you a layout I did using scraps from my scrap bin.   I used scraps from the Little Yellow Bicycle "Splash" summer line that came out a couple of years ago.  You don't have to use papers from the same company - just remember to make sure that each paper has similar colours in it.  Don't be afraid to mix all different patterns together.  I started by cutting a few of the larger pieces as shown below.  These pieces I adhered in place but only in the centre,  then I placed my picture where I wanted it to go - without adhering it.  This will allow you to move the picture if necessary.

I then began to punch and cut various shapes and sizes of the patterned papers.  I used circles, some small, some large, some scalloped and some plain.  I used squares and rectangles in different sizes.  I used the "odd number" concept  as much as possible and mostly cut 3 of each.  Some patterns I cut 4 of each.  Without gluing, I began layering the shapes in and around the picture by tucking them under the corner or side of another shape making sure that you don't have all the shapes from one pattern on one side.  You want to balance the pieces.   Here is a picture below of my start of the layering.  By not gluing the shapes down, you can still move things around until you get the look you want.


This is the completed layout.

Because of the different patterns, I found I could keep the embellishments at a minimum.  So I used some buttons in the circles below the picture, some very tiny buttons on the background paper - 3 of each in 3 areas then I added some mosaic tiles that I also had in my stash and a couple of small flowers.  To take away from the plain outside edges of the background paper I drew double black lines.  To accent the picture I cut out the centre of a circle and put it around  the cute little person in the picture.
I hope you enjoy.  Try this method - not only are you using up scraps but you can create a very colourful layout.   Again don't be afraid to mix patterns and layer them with each other.
Until next time
HAPPY SCRAPPING!!!!!

No comments: