Friday, October 24, 2014

Silk Flower Tutorial

Hello everyone.   I thought that I would share with you how to make a simple silk flower that you can use on any layout, card, or tag.  


I chose a very light silk fabric for the flower above.  You can use almost any type of fabric - canvas,
 wide silk ribbon, burlap.
To start you will need to cut 8 circles from your fabric.  These will be the petals to the flower. You do not have to be too fussy with trying to get the perfect circle.  Try to keep them the same size and don't worry if your edges are a little uneven.
Punch out a small circle from cardstock which will be your base for the flower.
Now take a circle, place a glue dot in the middle, then fold the bottom up to the top and secure with the glue dot.  Next fold from the left over to the right again securing with a glue dot at the fold.

At this point you can trim off on the curved edge to make the petals a little smaller which is what I did.  Just make sure that you trim all of the petals.

Now take your cardstock circle and cover it with glue dots or two-sided tape.  Take a petal and adhere the point down to the centre of the circle.  Take a second petal and do the same beside the first one.  Do this with two other petals until the circle is covered.

Adhere a large glue dot to the centre of the first petal layer.  Adhere the remaining 4 petals to the centre the same as the first layer making sure that you go over where the petals meet on the first layer.  (in otherwords overlap them)
And there you have a silk flower.  Add what ever you want to the centre of the flower.  I adhered down small white pearls.  You can add a button, another small paper flower, ribbon, or a brad.
And of course, here is a layout I did using my silk flower.


For this layout I used the new Bo Bunny Madeleine collection which is such a pretty line of paper.  The fabric I chose matched perfectly to the colour in the paper.  I added a rezin heart frame from along with some blue flowers which matched the small amount of blue in the fabric.  I took apart a pre-made Prima vine that I had in my stash for some time and added it to the layout.  I also painted the flowers on the vine with a white shimmer paint and highlighted the tips with white gesso.  I added  some of the flowers from the vine to the Dusty Attic chipboard pieces in the upper corner.
Here is a close-up of the silk flower on the layout.

Until next time, to all you
"HAPPY SCRAPPERS"
"It's the little blessings that help us to see just how lovely life can be."

No comments: