Monday, April 13, 2015

My Canvas Creations

Hello everyone!!!!  Today I would like to share with you two new 9 x 12 canvases that I recently completed.The first one I kept to the pastel colours.  And the second one I did the heritage look.  I am also giving you a surprise tutorial on one of the items that I made and added to the pastel canvas below.  I'll let you know in a minute.
For this canvas I first started by applying several mixed media items to the canvas.  You can see there is netting, cheese cloth, dry wall tape, and several different stencils with moulding paste.  I then painted the entire surface with gesso then I sprayed the canvas using colours that matched the flowers that I planned on using.  I gave it lots and lots of texture.
I found the frame in the centre at my local craft store.  I then cut some pieces of matching paper from my scrap bin and placed them to the outside without adhering.  The picture inside the frame was from my stash.  I liked it so much that I decided to adhere it to the back of the frame.  I added the frame to the canvas next adjusting the papers to fit then adhered the papers down.  I began placing my flowers around the frame, without adhering, until I got the look that I wanted.  Then I simply adhered them down with a hot glue gun.  I added some metal pieces here and there.

Here is a couple of close-ups.

Now for the surprise tutorial.  See the leaves under the owl below.  I made those using polymer clay, leaf fondant cutters and a rolling pin.

This is all you will need.

  Very easy.  Simply roll out the polymer clay very thinly.  Cut out the shape with the cutter, add veins using a toothpick, slightly roll up the edges so the leaves aren't completely flat.  Bake them in the oven at 250 degrees for about 15 minutes.   And lastly, you can paint them in any colour you want using any kind of craft paint.   And there you have it, easy to make leaves.  Lots of other cutter designs you can use as well. 

Here is the other canvas.

For this canvas I applied a good thick coat of gesso on the canvas surface.  I inked the outer edges with a brown ink and came in a bit with the ink on the corners.
To start with I cut several pieces of heritage papers layered them to create a background for my picture.  I did not adhere the papers onto the canvas just yet.   I then added my picture to the papers, first mounting it on chipboard then I adhered with pop dots.  Oh yes,  that picture is not a family picture - It is a card from Tim Holtz "Found Relatives" cards.  These are great for something like this.
The diamond shaped chipboard pieces is from Dusty Attic.  I simply cut different sized pieces and laid them down where I wanted them to go.  Before adhering, I placed the papers with the picture on it onto the canvas, adjusted if necessary then adhered everything down.  The rest of the items are again from my stash of goodies - flowers, more chipboard pieces, and metal items.  When I was completely finished, I accented here and there around the main section with paints and a paint brush.  Just randomly here and there.
Here a couple of close-ups.


I hope I have given you some ideas and a bit of inspiration.
Until next time
"Memories are like keepsakes, always to be treasured."

No comments: