Hello again!! Today I am going to share with you a project that I created using picture frames.
I had purchased 3 1/2" x 4 1/2" picture frames that were in a sale bin for only 50 cents each. Well, guess what I did. Since I can't turn down a good deal, I purchased several of them. Of course I didn't know what I was going to do with them, but being a craft person, I figured I would use them someday. So I created a wall hanging by gluing 4 of the frames together. My inspiration for this project came from a workshop with Vicki Boutin at the Prima Art Venture. We used wood boxes. I decided to use the frames instead.
Here is the completed project.
These are the frames below.
The first thing I did was to remove the stand and the white clasps from the back. I kept the actual backs of the frames. I then painted the entire frames with white gesso as well as the backings. 2 coats was necessary because of the colours of the frames. I wanted lots of texture on the surface of the frames so I applied a coat of white crackle medium from Prima. Let this dry completely and watch the cracks form.
Next, I selected two spray colours "tea stain" and "glistening waves" from Prima. I did the tea stain first, and then the glistening waves next.
After everything was dry, I decided on my frame placement and then glued them together with a strong glue. You can use a heat gun, but make sure that the glue is very hot. My final placement is different then shown above. I changed my mind when I went to glue them together which you can see with the completed project. Next, I selected patterned papers and adhered them to the backing piece of each frame. I then glued the backings into the frames from the back.
Then I went to my many containers of "stuff" and decorated the inside of the frames. I used wood embellishments, metal, flowers, and ephemera pieces which I layered several into the bottom left frame. I added a flower vine onto the left side as you can see. I also added some glass beads here and there in each frame. When completely done, I inked the outer edges of the frames with a brown archival ink and added some dots of dimensional pearls. You could also place a very small picture in one of the frames.
Here is a closeup of the inside of the frames.
I am going to do this again but I plan on using frames in different sizes and more of them. I will let you know how it works out. I hope you will give this a try.
Until next time,
This is Donna wishing you a happy and safe week.
"I'm not going to vacuum until they make a model that you can ride on."