Wednesday, March 28, 2018

"Journey" Pastel 8x10 Mixed Media Canvas

Since spring is just around the corner, I created a canvas using pastel spring colours - pink, yellow, and blue.  Below is the finished canvas followed by some instructions on how I achieved it.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.


To start, I selected three papers and cut them into various sized pieces.  I just randomly cut them.  I adhered them to the canvas, overlapping them and crossing over each other.  I applied a coat of matte medium onto the entire surface so that the sprays I used would not soak into the paper and to give me nicer flow of the sprays.  When this was dry I applied a watered down coat of white gesso - not too thick, I didn't want to completely cover the papers.


I then applied a coat of white crackle paste randomly over the surface leaving some areas open so that the paper will still show through.


Next I selected my spray colours:  Shimmerz Egg Noggin, Jeni B. Bleu and Sweet Heart pink and sprayed here and there with each colour.


I embossed a chipboard square collage panel in a soft gold and adhered it as shown.  The two white strips across the centre are cookie sticks from the baking dept at Micheals's.  They are almost like a straw but are solid.


 For the centre section I cut a piece of paper (same as I used for the base) 3" wide x 6" long, accented the edges with the Jeni B Bleu spray and drew some random stitich lines with a black pen.  I cut another piece of the same paper 2 1/2" wide x 5 1/4" long and added this to the centre.  Onto this centre piece I tore a strip of another paper and applied it down the left side (only half way across) then I stenciled modeling paste onto the right side of the second paper piece.  I also applied the pink spray with a brush around the outside areas of the centre section.
Next I added a strip of lace down the centre (you can see it just under the chipboard flourish).  The small white doilie was next, the chipboard flourish and then a small white resin frame.


Next were the flowers, the leaves which were stamped onto vellum and cut out by hand, and a vellum butterfly.  Finally, I placed some cheesecloth under the main flowers and the frame for softness.  I adhered the centre piece with pop dots to give it a 3D look.   I also applied Finnibair small art stones here and there along with a few white pearls.  With my finger I lightly applied a gold rub here and there.  Below is a closeup of the centre section.


I hope you enjoy this newest canvas.  It is so soft and pretty using the pastel colours.
Until next time, this is Donna wishing you a great week and a Happy Easter.
"HAPPY SCRAPPING"
"Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts."
                                                                Dickens

No comments: